Saturday 23 September 2017

End Of Season News & Updates.

I have just recently done my last race of the year and I am ready for some well earned rest, It's always a stressful month September as many riders are trying to secure teams for next season and for myself I made it quite a challenge, After flying back from America I pretty much went strait to Belgium with one goal and that was to find a team for 2018, this was a massive challenge as I didn't really have that many results in Belgium as a U23, I had some success as a junior but those results were useless, I'd won and podiumed a lot this season in America but that was in April and May so my form currently was decreasing fast while the style of racing was way more aggressive, my fitness was good but my kick was depleted from a long season after starting my first race in January, I found the best way for me was to get into breaks as we would pull through at a consistent speed unlike the jumpy peloton behind, this tactic lead me to a credible top 10 in Lokeren Kermesse with an average speed of 46kph (28.5mph for my American friends) which was ridiculous as the race was 120km.
I was fairly pleased with this end of season fitness and started inquiring with teams about 2018, It was difficult but after a lot of networking I was able to secure a team for 2018 and I'm happy with my choice, in 2018 I'll be riding for Renohomes United Cycling Team, we will be doing a mixture of Interclubs and stage races predominantly in Belgium with the choice of several UCI 2.2 stage races too, Interclubs are the highest level of amateur races in Belgium and doing well in one can really get you noticed.. fast.

I'm currently living in Tielt Winge, its located in the Vlaams Brabant region about 20 minutes east of Leuven, fantastic training on quiet country lanes, The house belongs to Tim Harris and Joscelin Ryan and has housed hundreds of cyclists including some absolute legends that have been on the same path as me, such as Mark Cavendish and Chris Froome to name a few!
Big thanks to them for opening this fantastic home to me and also helping me get settled, their knowledge for the sport is incredible

None of this would of been possible without the Dave Rayner Fund, I'm extremely grateful and really look forward to the annual dinner on November 4th! you can purchase tickets on the website http://www.daveraynerfund.co.uk/dinner/
Also massive thanks to my coach and good friend Tom Murray for helping me this season,  I look forward to working with him this winter.

Next for me is a big off season to get ready for 2018, I'll be doing a few weeks in Spain in November and then my team launch is December 9th in Gent so two things to forward to.

2018 Kit.









No comments:

Post a Comment